Gallery of Light and Letters

Monday, July 1, 2013

Chapter 4: Balancing the Void & Coin of the Realm




Photography by Ali Scattergood,  Balancing the Void, 2013


Coin of the Realm

Lady, what is the coin of this realm?
If you haven’t got a pair of sturdy gloves, milord, you mustn’t touch the riches.

But how does it slip so easily, lady, through your bare hands?
These aren’t coins, milord, they’re bells. These aren’t bells, milord, they’re suns.

You’re dropping a fortune into the river, lady, won’t the light be extinguished?
Milord, the sizzle is worth far more than the light.

Well how do you save the sizzle then, lady?
You can’t save steam or lies in a purse, milord, you can’t save sighs and tears.

How do I fill my purse then, lady, so that I can fill my belly?
If you drink of this water you’ll never want for food again, milord.

Is that safe, lady, to drink from a burning river?
Of course not, milord. Drink riches into your belly or starve; swell and burst or shrivel and perish.

You give me two cruel choices, lady, and no room between them.
My hands are burning, milord, for there are stars between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment